Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Austin City Limits

Philip and I journeyed down south to Austin last Friday to visit old family friends of his, Beth and Larry Batchelor. The drive was slightly eventful, as we passed through a severe storm cell with the possiblity of grapefruit sized hail.

We arrived at around 9 pm and I was introduced to Beth and Larry. They are truly awesome people! Beth has a perpetual smile and Larry is really funny.

They took us to many restaurants while we were there....all of them the "best" of their genre. Steakhouse, BBQ, Diner, and the Original Pancake House... They took us to Oasis, which is a fancy pancy place overlooking Lake Travis...... It was quite eclectic. However, that particular trip, we left our Camera in the guest bedroom!!! I kept saying over and over, "Honey, I wish you would have remembered the camera!!" LOL!!!

Austin is a bigger city, but it doesn't have the same "city" feel as Houston... I enjoyed the area a lot more than I did Houston, although they were similar in traffic. It seemed a lot calmer and more rural than Houston....although I marveled at the fact that there seemed to be 20 Walgreens, one on every corner!

There were several areas that reminded me of Arkansas, because it was hilly and had nice overlooks. There was a store called "Archivers" that I have been dying to go to since I found out about it two months ago....it is a scrapbooking super store!!!! Philip also took me to Fry's Electronics, which is a electronics superstore.... I must say he enjoyed it more than I, but it did have astronaut ice cream at the cash registers, so I was appeased! ;)

We had a great time and I found new friends that I will probably visit often while Philip is gone. Larry is a big music buff and showed us a place that has regular musicians playing....He just went to see BB King and is seeing ZZ Top this Thursday!

No comments: