Thursday, May 8, 2008

In a fortune cookie

I see "God" moments in everything. I really think that is the point that God is trying to teach us. In the midst of whatever we are going through, we can find him talking to us. I think as church goers, we often miss the forest for the trees at times.

Last evening, my husband had to work a split shift. That meant he went in early and got off at noon and went back at 5:30 pm- 10 pm. This is probably perhaps my least favorite time for him to be gone, because I am naturally very used to him being home in the evening.

Our A/C has been out for the last week and the heat has deterred me from doing much of anything in the house.....yesterday was perhaps the hottest it has been here. So I decided to get out of the house and drive around. I was starving and decided to try out a Chinese Buffet that Philip had said was good.

As the waitress said, "Just you ma'am?" I shook my head and she lead me to the table. I have eaten by myself a plenty in my short adult life, but I admit it is extremely lonely. A lot of thoughts ran through my head. Admittedly, I wanted to hurry up and get out of there. I even remember thinking, "Note to self, try not to eat out by yourself much while Philip is gone. It isn't much fun." It is actually quite uncomfortable!

As I quickly finished my Hot and Spicy soup and waved at the waitress to bring me the ticket, my heart was filled with a deep realization that sitting alone at a restaurant is really something that will become more common. I love fortune cookies, in fact, I would prefer to pass up ice cream and cake just for the delicious vanilla taste of the crunchy cookie. I always read my fortune, because they can be interesting. As I opened mine and read it, I realized that something was to be learned from this all. It said, "Develop an appreciation for the present moment."

That's all we really have. Is the moment. The loneliness that I am sure I will feel is not going to just go away. But, I realized that the time I have is precious and the moment means more to me than any 5 year plans anyone could have. In this moment, my husband is safe and in the U.S.A. He sleeps with a winter comforter in 85 degree weather and likes to scatter his Army stuff across the house. I will take that....because these moments are sweeter than the moments without him.

No comments: